Tuesday 9 April 2019

PILOT TRAINING - ARE WE GETTING IT RIGHT?


The steering wheel of my old Reliant Scimitar motor car once came off in my hands while I was driving. That was certainly unexpected and the people who sold it to me would probably have said it couldn’t happen. But it did, and I had to figure out how to steer the vehicle while stopping in a safe (ish) place. I got lucky I suppose.



My thanks to Skybrary for https://bit.ly/2ImYXYY - a summary of the Preliminary Report on the investigation into the crash of B737 MAX 8 on 10 March 2019.

The way I read this summary (and I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong), the aircraft was technically flyable, although not in a way the pilots had ever seen before and certainly not in a way they had trained for. In fact, they did manage to fly it for a while, overcoming the efforts of the automation to pitch the aircraft down into a suicidal dive, by nose-up elevator and electric stabiliser trim inputs. But eventually it won…

If we go back 10 years to AF447, the pilots were also presented with something they had never seen and had never trained for. The aircraft was technically flyable and operated to design but they couldn’t work out what was happening and correct it. The Air Asia A320 that crashed in 2014 was flyable, although the captain’s well-intentioned actions had caused the flight control systems to revert to ‘alternate law’. The pilots would have seen alternate law in the simulator but never with a sudden and unexpected onset.

I would be prepared to stake a substantial bet that each of these crews could have easily and competently managed an engine failure on the preceding take-off (and any other take-off). That’s what we have trained them for. But these other random, unexpected and potentially startling conditions are not trained and are therefore far more difficult to manage, just like my steering wheel incident.

So perhaps it is time be a bit more imaginative and a bit less optimistic when designing flight training profiles and show pilots some more extreme and unusual flight conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment