Thursday 21 October 2010

PEOPLE AND PLACES

The last few weeks have had me criss-crossing the world, attending, facilitating and running conferences, seminars and meetings in the fields of aviation and safety. I can take or leave travel itself and if I see another hotel I shall probably run away but the real highlight to all of this has been the people I have met. Some I have known for years, people I have worked with and worked for, people who have worked for me. Others I have met for the first time and some I may never meet again.

If I have had the good fortune to be in your company in these recent weeks, I thank you for your time and your wisdom, your friendship and your humour - you all have left your mark on my rather hectic life!

I would like to ask you to consider one thing: I have come to believe that 'safety' is a destination, a 'holy grail', an impossible dream in this business we have chosen, which by its nature will never be intrinsically safe. Instead, managing risk is the never ending journey we are fated to travel for our entire careers, forever trying to make things safer but never actually able to reach the goal. If we recognise that I think we will find the journey much easier to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment